Tu sei qui:

Home Il Castello History of the Montaccianico Castle
History of the Montaccianico Castle

Mid-XII century: first mention of the place name and castle in a deed of property division between two members of the family. Montaccianico and its jurisdiction were among the items left intact.


1186: ratification of the earlier deed and a renewed deed of property division, this time affecting the castle itself. Such division did not however take place.

1218: document certifying that Montaccianico had become the residence of the branch of the family bearing its name.

1220-1246: imperial privileges from Frederick II, Montaccianico was the first of the many castles named therein.

1251: many Tuscan and Bolognese chronicles recall how in Montaccianico a great battle was fought between the Guelphs and Ubaldini heading a Ghibelline coalition. The battle was won by the Guelphs, but it is not known if the castle was then knocked down. The same Chronicles recount how it was reconstructed by its nobles, especially Cardinal Ottaviano,  but do not state when such episode took place.

1280-1286: the castle became the refuge of the exiled Ghibellines, the Uberti in particular who placed themselves under the protection of the Ubaldini.

1302: conference of San Godenzo, military agreement between the White Guelphs and the Ubaldini, the former promising to compensate the nobles of the area for all the damages incurred to Montaccianico and their other castles. First, unsuccessful siege of the fortress by the Florentines.

1306: May-August, siege of Montaccianico, surrender by some of the Ubaldini to the Commune of Florence. September, surrender of the castle to the Florentines and its destruction.

1306: October, 17-23, a faction of the Ubaldini di Montaccianico sell their share of the castle, namely 2/4 to the Commune of Florence for 15,600 gold florins.

Since 1306 the site where the castle stood has never been reutilised by strict prohibition of the Republic of Florence. Its imposing ruins – only in part removed over the course of the centuries for surrounding rural constructions – still lie buried and scattered over the mountain. The recent digs started in 2008 are an attempt to bring back to light some remains of the mighty Ubaldini fortress after over 700 years.